Halloween just passed last week and everyone was in the spirit, especially Stephen F. Austin’s Student Activities Association (SAA). Every week, the association has SAA Cinema Movies Series where movies are shown at the school’s theater located in the Baker Pattillo Student Center. You can catch these movies every Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.
SAA Knows How to Scare
Last month’s selections, true to the Halloween holiday, included animated comedy horror family films and horror movies, ParaNorman, The Purge, Hotel Transylvania, The Conjuring, Hocus Pocus, Insidious and The Orphan. The Student Activities Association also presented Screaming in the Streets and played The Strangers at SFA’s commuter lot last Tuesday, getting students, staff/faculty and community members ready for the scary holiday with a free drive-in movie. Evil Dead, a classic horror film remade in 2013, is about an addict whose brother and friends go out to a cabin. She hopes of kicking the habit only to have the outcome by her getting possessed and others dying in the process. This was shown on Halloween night and was a perfect choice seeing that it was branded “The Most Terrifying Film You Will Ever See”.
All of the movies began at 7pm or 9:30pm and are very affordable with prices ranging from $2 to $4; $2 for SFASU students, $3 for faculty/staff, and $4 for the community. Refreshments such as drinks, candy and popcorn were served and available to the movies’ viewers.
This Month’s Showings
November’s selections include:
• 1, 3 The Orphan(R) / The Evil Dead(R)
• 7,8,10 Planes (PG) / The To-Do list (R)
• 14, 15, 17 We’re the Millers (R) / Kick Ass 2 (R)
• 21, 22, 24 Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (PG-13) / You’re Next(R)
Open Caption is available on Friday
(Depending on the film)
These movies are for all ages and audiences, ranging from PG rated animated film, Planes, which is about “a cropdusting plane with a fear of heights lives his dream of competing in a famous around-the-world aerial race”, to R rated comedy, We’re the Millers, which is a film about “A veteran pot dealer who creates a fake family as part of his plan to move a huge shipment of weed into the U.S. from Mexico.” Children and adults can enjoy SAA’s Movie Series.
For more information call the SAA Cinema Movie Series information line at 936-468-6554.
The Movie Theater is located on the second floor of the Baker Pattillo Student Center on SFA’s campus.
The Stephen F. Austin Student Activities Association is one of SFA’s many student engagement programs which includes the Involvement Center, Traditions Council, SFA Homecoming, Jack Camp, Service and Leadership Programs, Service Learning at SFA, Student Leader Spotlight, The BIG Event, Alcohol EDU, Student Organizations, Handbook, and Academic Travel, and lastly, Greek Life. SAA “strives to provide an educational and recreational experience outside the classroom through programs that culturally enlighten, intellectually stimulate and entertain the university community.”
SAA’s Core Values
The organization’s core values involve:
• Trust – Not only must members trust each other but the student body must trust the members also to provide them with excellent programming, while maintaining the proper use of their money.
• Leadership – SAA values leadership in all areas. The continued development of leadership within their organization will allow them to better lead the campus.
• Truth – The organization values ethical decisions and behavior, above all honesty. They believe all members must be honest with themselves, and the student body.
• Courage – SFA’s Student Activities Association must possess the courage to try new things and fight for the rights of students.
• Pride – SAA is full of pride. Pride in within the university and pride within the organization. They value and respect the history of the university and the organization.
• Creativity – Such an organization values creativity and innovation. They believe it is important that they continually introduce new ideas. This will foster growth and continued improvement.
• Diversity – Diversity is valued in not only the members but the programs as a whole as well.
If Interested in Joining SAA
Pick up an application and event proposal form!
• SAA Office: BPSC Room 3.305
• During your new student Orientation
• SFA Involvement Center: BPSC Room 1.204
Applications were due on September 12th,2013 by 5p.m. and Interviews were started on September 13th,2013 but if those deadlines were missed, the same opportunity will be presented around the same time next year.
Upon completion of the application, one must sign up for an interview time will be accepted members as space allows. If you have any questions please call SAA’s Membership Coordinator, Jermaine Merritt, at 936-468-1222.
As an SAA Member
All members do have minimum requirements. SAA considers “working” events as setting up concerts, meeting and helping artists and getting people excited to come to their events.
Each member is required to do the following:
• Work a set number of events each month – You choose your schedule!
• One office hour per week – You choose the day/time that best fits your schedule!
• Propose one event each semester – You choose an event you want to see on campus!
• Attend weekly meetings- Every Thursday @ 6:00 p.m.
SAA is a great place to develop relationships, sharpen your leadership skills and help make this campus the kind of place you want to call home. Entertaining is what we do best! Members must meet a minimum 2.0 GPA requirement in order to be considered for membership and must maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to stay active within their organization.
Feel free to visit the Student Activities Association’s office located in the Baker Pattillo Student Center Room 3.305.
• Mail to: P.O. Box 13029, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-3029
• Call: 936.468.1222
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Information Regarding SAA
For more information on the Student Activities Association, visit their homepage: http://www.sfasu.edu/studentaffairs/71.asp and also Stephen F. Austin’s student engagement website at: http://www.sfasu.edu/studentaffairs/index.asp. The official programming board on the campus of SFASU that offers over 200 free events per semester and a weekly movie series that’s $1 for students’ twitter page at: https://twitter.com/@SAA_1923.
For any questions or comments, email Lewisan1@titan.sfasu.edu